Management of heartburn
Heartburn is caused by the effects of stomach acid damaging the food tube
( oesophagus ) which connects stomach to throat.
The food tube does not have a protective lining like the stomach, so if
acid does escape into it, this will cause the pain of heartburn.
Normally, heartburn can cause a burning feeling in the center of the
chest which travels up the breastbone to the throat.
What can you do to reduce heartburn ?
• Avoid hot and spicy foods in large amounts.
• Do not go to bed too soon after eating and keep upright at least an
hour after eating.
• Do not wear a tight cloth around your stomach to avoid the pressure in
• Drink milky drinks. It will help you to neutralize and reduce the
amount of acid in your stomach.
• Eat regular meals. Do not let yourself go without food for a long