Psidium guajava L,
YELLOW GUAVA, FAN SHI LIU
The yellow guava, fan shi liu
(foreign stone pomegranate), is also called fan tao (foreign peach), hua ren
(colorful harvest) and ji shi guo (fowl dung fruit). It is an evergreen
shrub or small tree. The fruit is pear shaped or round, with a diameter of
The surface is pale green, yellow or pinkish red. Inside are a great number
of hard small seeds. The fruit has a delicate perfume and sweet, astringent
flavor and ripens in the summer. Its nature is warm.
The virtue of the fruit is that it can help stop diarrhea and bleeding. It
contains sucrose, glucose, fructose, rhamnose, protein, vitamin C, malic
acid, citric acid, beta-sitosterol, yellow guava glucoside, tannin, etc.
1. ACUTE GASTROENTERITIS; DYSENTERY WITH DIARRHEA. Take 250 grams of fresh
fruit, crush, cover with water and simmer till cooked. Serve this quantity 3
2. DIARRHEA IN SMALL CHILDREN. Take 30 grams of dried fruit and stir-fry
till yellow. Add water and steam till cooked. Divide up and serve in 3-4
helpings in the course of one day.
3. DIABETES. Take 90 grams of fresh fruit, crush and squeeze to obtain the
juice. Drink this before meals, 3 times a day.
4. ACUTE, CHRONIC THROAT INFLAMMATION, HOARSE VOICE. Take 90 grams of dried
fruit, add water and simmer till cooked. Drink this in place of tea.
5. PAINFUL HEMORRHOIDS WITH BLEEDING; ECZEMA; PRURITIS; PRICKLY HEAT. Take
500 grams of fresh fruit or 250 grams of dried fruit. Add water and simmer
until the liquid becomes thick. Wash the affected place 2-3 times daily.
6. SORES ON THE LOWER LIMBS; BOILS; WOUNDS SLOW IN HEALING; CHILDREN'S HEAD
SORES; IMPETIGO. Take an appropriate measure of fresh or dried fruit, add
water and simmer till reduced to a thick liquid. Use this to wash the
affected place. At the same time take some dried fruit, grind fine and apply
to the affected place.
7. INJURIES FROM FALLS; KNIFE
WOUNDS. Take fresh fruit and discard the stones. Crush the flesh or sun dry
and grind it to dust. Apply to the affected place.
8. SCALDS AND BURNS. Take dried fruit and stir-fry till it turns to
charcoal. Grind to powder, add rape oil and blend to a paste. Apply to the
Do not eat large amounts of this fruit. Do not take if suffering from