USSURIAN PEAR, QIU ZI LI
The autumn pear (qiu zi li) is
also known as the mountain pear (shan li) and the wild pear (ye li). It is a
tall tree growing 10-15 meters. The leaves are almost round, with sharply
The fruit is ball shaped with a diameter of 20-30 mm, its surface is yellow
or yellow-green with a fragrant smell. It ripens in the summer and autumn.
The flavor of the fruit is sour-sweet and astringent, its nature is cool. It
helps stop diarrhoea.
The fruit contains carbohydrate, vitamin C, organic acids and tannin, etc.
1. DIARRHOEA AND STOMACH ACHE DUE TO ENTERITIS AND DYSENTERY. Take 60 grams
of fresh fruit, mash to a pulp, add water and steam till cooked. Serve three
times every day.
2. COUGH CAUSED BY A 'WIND-WETNESS' TYPE OF COMMON COLD; CHRONIC COUGH. Take
60 grams of fresh fruit or 15 grams of dry fruit. Add 30 grams of sugar, add
water . and
steam till cooked. Eat all of this three times a day.
3. INDIGESTION OR PAINFUL SWELLING OF CHEST OR STOMACH. Take 30 grams of
fresh fruit and mash it. Add half a cup of boiled water, mix together, then
squeeze to obtain the juice which is then drunk. Do this twice a day.
4. ULCERS ON THE LEGS; TINEA, ATHLETES FOOT. Take 300 grams of fresh fruit
or 150 grams of dry fruit. Mash, then simmer in water. Wash the affected
place with this liquid two or three times a day.
5. BITES FROM HORSES, COWS, SHEEP, ETC. Take 300-600 grams of fresh fruit
and mash it. Squeeze the pulp to obtain the juice and apply this to the
wound. It is said to temporarily stop pain and also prevent infection.