Musa paradisiaca L. var supientum o. Ktze
The banana, xiang jiao (fragrant broad-leaf plant) is also known as gan jiao
(sweet broad-leaf plant) and gong jiao (bow shaped broad-leaf plant). It is
a herbaceous plant which lives for many years. It grows from 3-7 metres and
has very large leaves.
The fruits are cylindrical, slightly curved and have three strips running
down them forming angles. The pointed ends of the fruit are hard. Fruits are
140-200mm long and 30-40mm in diameter. The outer surface is smooth and
green or yellow-green. The colour changes to yellow when the fruit is ripe
in summer and autumn. Damaged parts of the fruit show dark brown patches.
The flesh of the fruit is soft, smooth and fragrant. There are no seeds. The
fruit is cool in nature.
The fruit helps cool fever, benefits the urine, is a mild laxative, helps
relieve hypertension, and can sooth a foetus.
Banana is rich in glucose, fructose, sucrose, starch and protein. It also
contains fat, volatile oil, vitamins, A, B, C, E, calcium, phosphorous, and
iron as well as various enzymes, etc.
CONSTIPATION. Take one or two over ripe bananas, peel and eat. Do this just
before going to bed and again on awakening.
2. FEBRILE DISEASE WITH THIRST; DRY THROAT WITH DIFFICULTY IN SWALLOWING.
Remove the skin and eat one or two bananas 3 times a day.
3. PAINFUL HAEMORROIDS, BLEEDING DURING MOTIONS. Take two half ripe bananas
including the skin. Add a little water, steam in a sealed container and
mash. Every day prepare and eat in the morning and again in the evening,
four bananas a day.
4. HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, HYPERTENSION. Take 60 grams of banana skins or
stems, steam in water and eat. Do this three times a day. As well as being
used as a remedy this can also be taken beforehand as a preventative.
5. CONSTIPATION CAUSED BY HYPERTENSION. 500 grams of banana and 15 grams of
black sesame seed. Discard the banana skin, mix the banana with the sesame
seed and eat. Do this once a day.
6. BURNING FEELING IN THE LUNGS WITH GASPING AND COUGHING. Take two fully
ripe fresh bananas, including the skin. Add a little water, steam, mash and
eat. Do this every day in both the morning and evening.
7. VARIOUS PAINFUL SWELLINGS AND BOILS. Take a green banana, including the
skin, mash it into a paste and spread on the affected part.
8. HANGOVER. Take 60 grams of banana skin, boil in water until cooked and
People suffering from stomach ulcers or hyperacidity should avoid eating