Chaenomeles Sinensi, IRON FOOT
PEAR, TIE JIAO LI
The Chinese flowering quince, tie
jiao li (iron foot pear) is also called guang pi mu gua (smooth skin tree
melon), ming lu (papaya) and mu tao (tree peach). It is a deciduous shrub or
tree growing to a height of 2-3 meters. The leaf is egg-shaped with a
The fruit is cylindrical, 60-150 mm long and 35-45 mm in diameter. The outer
surface is purple-red or dusty brown-red, bare and smooth (even when dried
in the sun the surface remains smooth and without wrinkles).
The flesh is thick and coarse, with little fragrance, the flavor acid and
astringent. Inside there are a number of seeds. The fruit is harvested at
the end of summer and the beginning of autumn. Its nature is warm.
The fruit relaxes the muscles and tendons and regulates the stomach energy.
It also helps control what the Chinese call the wetness-evil. It contains
vitamin C, malic acid, citric acid, tartaric acid, flavones, tannin,
glucoside, fruit gum, enzymes, protein, etc.
1. ACUTE OR CHRONIC GASTROENTERITIS; VOMITING AND DIARRHEA; DYSENTERY; TIC
IN HAND, FOOT. Take 15-30 grams of fruit, 15 grams of table vinegar and 15
grams of brown sugar. Add water, steam and serve. Do this 3 times a day.
2. MORNING SICKNESS; SEA SICKNESS; CAR SICKNESS; CHEST AND STOMACH SWOLLEN;
LACK OF TASTE AND EXCESSIVE SALIVA. Take an appropriate amount of candied
fruit and slowly chew it.
3, FATIGUE; PAINS IN MUSCLES AND. JOINTS. Take 30 grams of fruit wine or use 15 grams of fruit and 30 grams of
rice wine* simmered together
in water. Serve before bed.
(* Japanese sake may be used. Ed)
4. RHEUMATISM. Take 30 grams of fruit wine. Drink daily, in the
morning and again in the evening.
5. TO NOURISH AND BUILD UP THE BODY. Every day drink 15 grams of fruit wine. Continue this over a long period.
1. CANDIED FRUIT. If the fruit is not to be eaten fresh it may be sliced and
covered in sugar until it is candied. Dry fruit prepared in this way is a
special product of Guizhou province.
2. DRIED FRUIT. Fresh fruit is sliced, or cut into 4 segments and dried in
the sun. This is the form in which it is used in traditional medicine. It is
called smooth skin papaya.
3. FRUIT WINE. Take 250 grams of fruit, 120 grams of the skin of the slender
acanthopanax (Acanthopanax gracilistylus) and 1,000 grams of
Soak together for 10 days and it is then ready for use.
Japanese sake may be used.