Canarium album, GAN LAN
The Chinese olive, gan lan, is also called qing guo (blue-green fruit),
huang lan (yellow olive), and bai lan (white olive). It is an evergreen tree
that grows to a height of 10-15 meters with dense foliage.
The fruit is
oval and pointed at both ends, about 30mm long and 10-20mm in diameter. The
outer surface is bare and smooth, immature fruit is green and changes to
yellow-green then pale yellow as it ripens. The flesh is an insipid cream
The flavor is astringent and acid but has a sweet aftertaste.
Inside is a single hard stone shaped . like a shuttle. The fruit is gathered
in the summer and at the end of autumn. Its nature is neither hot nor cold.
The fruit can clear fever, benefit the throat and relieve alcoholic
poisoning. It contains protein, fat, calcium, phosphorous, iron, vitamin C,
tannin, carbohydrates, etc.
1. PAINFUL SWOLLEN THROAT. Take fresh or salted fruit and discard the stone.
Eat a single fruit several times a day.
2. FEVER WITH THIRST. Take 3-5 pieces of fresh fruit, discard the stones and
crush the flesh. Cover with water and simmer for some time, and then drink
in the place of tea.
3. DYSENTERY; ENTERITIS. Take 5 pieces of fresh fruit, discard the stone and
obtain the flesh. Add water and steam with fresh ginger and sugar. Take some
3 times a day.
4. HEMORRHOIDS, BLEEDING; GASTRIC BLEEDING. Take 5 pieces of fresh fruit,
discard the stone and obtain the flesh. Add 100 grams of lotus roots, 100
grams of lean pork, and an appropriate amount of salt. Add water and steam.
Eat this once a day.
5. CHRONIC COUGH. Take 5 pieces of fresh fruit, discard the stone and obtain
the flesh. Add some water and sugar and steam for half an hour, then serve.
6. HANGOVER. Take 5-10 pieces of fresh fruit, discard the stone and obtain
the flesh. Crush, add 50 grams of sugar and some water and simmer. Drink all
the liquid at one time.
7. INFECTED SORES. Take 5-10 pieces of fresh
fruit, discard the stone and obtain the flesh. Crush and apply to the
8. BLEEDING WOUNDS. Take some fresh fruit, discard the stone, obtain the
flesh and apply to the affected place.
9. CHILBLAINS. Take the stones of the fruit and roast until they become
almost charcoal and can be readily crushed to a fine powder. Add some sesame
oil and blend into a paste. Rub this on the affected places.
SALTED OLIVES. Take fresh fruit and dry in the sun for 1-2 days. Place in a
pottery jar, mix well and cover with salt. After a fortnight the fruit
should be preserved and ready to use.