Prunus pseudocerasus Lindl., YING
The cherry, ying tao, is also
called han tao (contained in the mouth peach), zhu ying (vermillion cherry),
and zhu guo (vermillion fruit). It is a shrub or small tree growing 3-8
meters. The fruit is round with a diameter of 13 mm. The outer surface is
red or purple-red. It has a fragrant perfume, sweet flavor and abundant
The flesh is pale yellow and the fruit contains a single pale yellow hard
stone in which is the seed. It ripens at the end of summer and the beginning
of autumn. Its nature is warm, without poison. The fruit can recuperate and
invigorate vital energy and dispel rheumatism.
The stone has a bitter flavor, its nature is neither hot nor cold. It helps
in clearing skin eruptions and dispelling poison.
The fruit contains carbohydrate, vitamins B, C, carotene, nicitinic acid,
calcium, phosphorous, iron, citric acid, tartaric acid, etc.
1. THROAT INFLAMMATION; BEGINNING OF THROAT INFLAMMATION. Take 30-60 grams
of fresh fruit and slowly chew them. Do this in the morning and again in the
2. WEAKNESS, FACE DRAINED OF COLOR; EASILY TIRED; LACK OF STRENGTH. Take one
(Chinese) soup spoon of cherry paste both in the morning and in the evening.
3. RHEUMATISM PAINS IN THE LEGS AND LOWER PART OF THE BODY; NUMBNESS IN THE
RHEUMATISM LEADING TO PARALYSIS. Take 30-60 grams of cherry wine every day
in both the morning and in the evening.
4.MEASLES, NOT FULLY DEVELOPED IN CHILDREN. Take 9 grams of cherry stones,
crush, cover with water, simmer and drink the liquid. Also take 150 grams of
cherry stones, crush, simmer in water and wash the body with the liquid.
5. PAINFUL SORES THAT DO NOT HEAL. Take 90-150 grams of cherry stones and
crush them. Add water and simmer for 1 hour. Use the liquid to wash the
affected parts several times daily.
6. CHILBLAINS. Apply cherry tincture to the affected place or take the fruit
pulp that has been soaked in wine and spread on the affected place 3 times
1. CHERRY PASTE. Take 1000 grams of fresh fruit, add water and boil to a
pulp. Remove the stones and add 500 grams of sugar. Stir in and dissolve.
2. CHERRY WINE. Take 500 grams of fresh fruit and soak it in 1000 grams of
rice wine* for 10 days. It is then ready to use. (*Japanese sake can be
3. CHERRY TINCTURE (FOR EXTERNAL
USE). Take nearly ripe fresh fruit and wash clean. Dry in the air and place
in a glazed pottery container. Add 75% spirits. When the wine has begun to
soak into the fruit, seal up the container and bury it in the ground. With
the approach of winter it can be dug up and used.
People suffering from sthenic heat should not eat too much of this fruit.