Cocos nucifera, YE ZI
The coconut, ye zi, is also
called ye li (coconut chestnut) and ye yi. It is a tropical tree that can
attain a height of 30 meters. The trunk is straight and vertical with no
branches and marked with bands that resemble joints (though they are in fact
marks where leaves have fallen off). The leaves and fruit are all at the top
of the tree.
The fruit is roughly egg shaped, with a slight indication of 3 ridges and is
250-350 mm long and 200-250 mm in diameter. The outer surface is bare and
somewhat smooth and a dusty yellow color. Inside this is a dry layer of
loose thick fiber which protects the shell of the nut in the centre. When
this hard shell is broken open it reveals the white flesh (and also
endosterm, which can be eaten if desired).
The flesh is slightly sweet and fragrant. Inside is a cavity which contains
a large quantity of coconut water, the flavor of which is also slightly
sweet and fragrant. It can be drunk. The fruit ripens in the summer. The
nature of the flesh and the water is neither warm nor cold, and contains no
Its virtue is that it can enliven the saliva, benefit urine and repel
The flavor of the shell is bitter, astringent and of a warm nature. It can
kill insects and relieve itching.
Coconut water contains glucose, sucrose, fructose, etc. The flesh contains
glucose, sucrose, stachyose, protein, fat, coconut oil, vitamins, etc. The
shell contains xylon, etc.
1. HIGH TEMPERATURE AND DRY MOUTH; HEATSTROKE; FEVER WITH THIRST; DIABETES.
Break open the nut to obtain the water and drink it. Do this in the morning
and again in the evening.
2. OEDEMA, DROPSY. Take one
coconut and break it open to obtain the water. Drink all of the water. Do
this 3 times a day.
3. HAEMORRHAGE; VOMITING; DEHYDRATION AFTER DIARRHOEA; LACK OF STRENGTH.
Take 1 cup of coconut water, 30 grams of sugar and a little table salt,
dissolve and drink. Take 1 cup 3 times a day for 3 days, then only I cup a
day after that.
4. FASCIOLOPSIS; TAENIASIS; CESTODIASIS; TAPEWORM. Take one coconut, break
open and eat the flesh and drink the juice. Do this daily early in the
morning on an empty stomach for 3 days.
5. CONSTIPATION. Take half or all the flesh from a coconut and eat it. Do
this daily both in the morning and the evening.
6. SENILITY AND PREMATURE SENILITY. Every day, both in the morning and the
evening eat 2-3 lumps of candied coconut. Continue the treatment for a long
time, until improvement can be seen.
7. MANGE; TINEA VERSICOLOR; NEURODERMATITIS; CHILBLAINS. Take 1 piece of
fresh coconut flesh or candied coconut (see below) and rub on the affected
place several times a day.
8. ECZEMA; PRURITUS OF FEMALE PUDENDUM; CHRONIC ULCER OF THE FOOT IN OLD
PEOPLE. Take the shell of a coconut and crush it, then simmer it in water
for some time. Wash the affected places with this liquid. or apply coconut
shell ointment, several times a day.
1. CANDIED COCONUT. Cut coconut flesh into 10 mm square pieces. Mix and
cover with sugar and leave for two weeks, when it will be ready to use.
2. COCONUT SHELL OINTMENT. Take the shells of 5 coconuts, break and crush.
Add water and simmer slowly until the mixture reaches an ointment-like
consistency. Discard any scum and dregs and keep the rest as ointment.