Vitis vinifera, PU TAO
The grape, pu tao, is also called pu ti zi (Bodhi seed). It is a
tree-like vine attaining a length of up to ten meters. The fruit is round or
oval with a diameter of 10-15mm and grows in clusters. The surface is bare
and smooth and often covered with a wax-like pink powder. The unripe fruit
is green in color, when
ripe it is purple-black or red-green,
semi-translucent and with a thin skin.
The flesh of the fruit contains
abundant juice, the flavor is sweet or acid-sweet. The fruit contains
seeds. It ripens at the end of summer and the beginning of autumn. Its
nature is neither warm nor cold.
The virtue of the fruit is that it can help clear a rash or skin eruptions,
benefit the urine, promote diuresis and calm a foetus. The fruit contains
glucose, fructose, vitamins B2 and C, carotene, protein, amino acids, fat,
manganese, potassium, calci-salt, malic acid, citric acid, fruit gum,
glucoside, tannin, etc.
1. WEAKNESS AFTER ILLNESS. Eat 30 grams of dried grapes or drink 30 grams of
fresh grape wine. Do this early in the morning and again in the
evening for a period of time until results can be seen.
2. DRY THROAT WITH THIRST. Take 250 grams of fresh fruit, wash clean and
eat. Do this in the morning and in the evening.
3. POOR NUTRITION, WITH DROPSY. Take 30 grams of dried grapes and 15 grams
of ginger skin, cover with water and simmer. Take this twice a day.
4. URINE, RED IN COLOR OR AN SHARP PAIN WHEN URINATING; OLIGURIA WITH
REDDISH URINE. Take 250 grams of fresh fruit and squeeze to obtain the
juice. Add the
same amount of warm water and drink.
5. BLOOD IN THE URINE. Take 120 grams of fresh fruit and 250 grams of fresh
lotus roots, crush together, squeeze out the juice and drink. Do this three
times a day.
6. MEASLES, NOT FULLY ERUPTED. Take 30 grams of dried grapes, add water,
steam then serve. At the same time take an appropriate amount of grape canes
and leaves, or coriander, cover with water and simmer for some time, then
use the liquid to wash the body.
7. SIGNS OF APPROACHING MISCARRIAGE. Take 30 grams of dried grapes and 15
grams of red dates. Add water, steam till cooked then serve.
1. DRIED GRAPES. Take fresh fruit, wash clean and dry in the sun for some
days. These are called dried grapes or Bodhi seed.
2. FRESH GRAPE WINE. Crush 500 grams of fresh grapes and obtain the juice.
Mix with 500 grams of rice wine*. This is drunk fresh. (* Japanese sake may
be used. Ed.)
Do not eat a great measure of grapes at one time.