Juglans regia, HU TAO
The walnut, hu tao (foreign or
introduced peach) is also called he tao (stone peach) and again he tao
(written with a different character and meaning closed peach). A tall
deciduous tree it can reach a height of 30 meters. The fruit is round, the
outer skin is fleshy and an ash-green color. It ripens in autumn.
The fruit contains a very large, hard stone, the shell of a bone like
consistency. Its surface is dusty brown and covered with a network of
wrinkles and creases. Inside this is the edible part, the kernel, and this
shows a very irregular shape.
The kernel is divided into two parts by a thin partition of a woody
substance. The flavor is slightly sweet and fragrant, and also oily. Its
nature is warm. It helps regulate the lungs and rejuvenates the kidneys.
The outer green skin of the fruit, called green dragon clothing, has a
bitter flavor and is astringent, its nature neutral. It contains poison. It
helps reduce swellings and stops itching.
The thin woody membrane that divides the kernel, called divide-heart-tree,
has a bitter flavor and a warm nature. It invigorates the kidneys and helps
stop nocturnal seminal emission.
The kernel contains oil, protein, carbohydrate, calcium, phosphorous, iron,
vitamin B2, carotene, etc. The green outer skin contains walnut leaf quinone,
tannin, citrutinne, Vitamin C, etc.
1. CHRONIC ASTHMA COUGH. Take 30 grams of walnut kernels, 15 grams of sugar
and 6 grams of turnip seed. Steam for half an hour and serve. Do this daily
in the morning and in the evening.
2. PAINFUL SWOLLEN THROAT; HOARSENESS. Every day take 90 grams of kernels
and slowly chew them.
3. COMMON COLD WITH HEADACHE AND FEVER; INTOLERANCE TO COLD. Take 15 grams
of kernel, 15 grams of fresh ginger and crush them together. Add water and
steam. Serve this in the morning and again in the evening.
4. TUBERCULOSIS LEADING TO COUGHING AND EMACIATION. Take 250 grams of walnut
kernel and 250 grams of persimmon cake. Cover and steam in a sealed
container with a little water for one hour. Divide into 3 parts and serve in
the course of a day. Do this-for one month.
5. WEAK KIDNEYS LEADING TO FREQUENT URINATION. Take a number of walnuts in
the shell and boil them for some time. Break open the shells and obtain 30
grams of kernels. Eat this while warm, and at the same time drink 30 grams
of warm rice wine*. Do this every evening
before bed for 5 nights. (* Sake can be used.
6. STOMACH OR DUODENAL ULCER;
HYPERACIDITY. Take 15 grams of walnut kernel and slowly chew it. Do this 3
times a day.
7. HANDS AND FEET SOFT AND WEAK AFTER CHILDBIRTH; ASTHMA. Take 60 grams of
kernel and 3 grams of red ginseng*. Cover with
water and simmer into a soup. Serve this twice a day for 3 days.
8. SEMINAL EMISSION; INCONTINENCE. Take 30 grams of walnut kernels and 2
sliced pork kidneys. Add a little pork fat if desired. Stir-fry till, cooked
and eat while warm. Do this daily before bed for 3 days. Alternatively take
30 grams of the membrane that divides the kernel (the divide-heart-tree)
cover with water and simmer. Serve twice a day.
9. CONSTIPATION. Take 30 grams of kernel and chew it. Do this both in the
morning and again in the evening.
10. GALLSTONES. Take 120 grams of kernels and deep fry in oil until crisp.
Add an appropriate amount of sugar and grind into a paste. Use it up over a
period of 1-2 days, taking a little at a time.
11. MIDDLE EAR INFLAMMATION. Obtain some oil by squeezing walnut kernels.
Add a little crushed ice, mix and place a few drops in the ear.
12. PAINFUL SWOLLEN SORES; DIFFERENT KINDS OF TINEA. Use an appropriate
amount of the outer green skin of the walnut (green dragon clothing) and rub
on the affected place, or crush to a paste and apply.
1. GREEN DRAGON CLOTHING. The outer green skin of the not fully ripe walnut.
2. Soak the fresh fruit and then remove the outer layer of skin, dry the nut
in the sun. Break it open to obtain the kernel. The membrane that divides
the kernel into two parts is called the dividing-heart-tree.
* RED GINSENG. Slice fresh ginseng and steam
for 2 - 3 hours then dry.