Trapa bispinosa, WATER CHESTNUT
SINHARA NUT, LING JIAO
The water caltrop, ling jiao
(water caltrop horn) is also called ling (water caltrop), sha jiao (sand
horn) and shui ling (water caltrop). It is an annual aquatic plant. The
fruit is flat with 3 points, or anchor shaped, two of the points are long
and shaped like horns. The fruit is 25-40 mm wide, 40-70 mm long and 20-25
mm thick. The skin is purple-red or purple-brown, hard and thick.
Inside the edible flesh is white and powdery with a slightly sweet flavor.
The fruit is dug and harvested at the end of summer and the beginning of
autumn. The flavor is sweet and astringent, its nature neutral.
The fruit benefits the spleen and helps stop diarrhea. It contains a large
amount of starch, glucose, protein, vitamins B, C, ergotsterol, sterol, etc.
1. DIARRHEA CAUSED BY WEAK SPLEEN. Take 90 grams of fresh fruit, discard the
shells and obtain the meat. Add two pieces of candied date and a little
water. Grind into a paste. Steam gently till cooked and eat. Do this daily,
2. HANGOVER. Take 250 grams of fresh fruit, including the shell, and crush.
Add 60 grams of sugar. Cover with water and simmer for some time, then
strain and obtain the liquid. Drink this in one serve.
3. EXCESSIVE MENSTRUATION, MENORRHAGIA. Take 250 grams of fresh fruit, cover
with water and simmer for one hour. Strain and obtain the liquid and add it
to an appropriate amount of brown sugar. Drink half in the morning and half
in the evening.
4. HEMORRHOIDS, BLEEDING AND SORE. Take 90 grams of fresh fruit, crush and
simmer in water, then serve. Also take charcoal made from the shells, and
grind it to powder. Add sufficient vegetable oil to make a paste and apply
to the affected place.
5. DYSENTERY. Take 120 grams of the shells and simmer in water then drink
the liquid. Do this in the morning and again in the evening.
6. DIARRHEA IN SMALL CHILDREN. Take 30 grams of fruit shell, cover with
water and simmer, then strain to obtain the liquid. Add to it 30 grams of
powdered lotus root and blend into a paste. Simmer gently till cooked then
serve. Do this 3 times a day.
7. STOMACH ULCER; GASTRIC ULCER. Take 120 grams of fruit shells and 1000
grams of water and boil together for half an hour. Strain to obtain the
liquid. Take some of this liquid with warm water. Drink 1-2 cups of the
mixture first thing in the morning and again in
the evening. Do this for one month.
8. CANCER OF ESOPHAGUS, BREAST OR WOMB. It is essential to see your doctor.
As a supplementary treatment take 60-90 grams of fruit shell and 30 grams of
Job's Tears (Coix lachryma-jobi). Simmer with water and drink as a
tea. Continue for a number of months.
Eating fresh fruit can harm the spleen and stomach. It should always be
boiled till cooked before being eaten.