Clausena lansium (Lour.) Skeels,
CHINESE WAMPEE, HUANG PI GUO
The wild wampee, huang pi guo, is
also called you pi (oil skin) and you mei (oil plum). The tree can grow to
about ten meters, and the leaves have a fragrant perfume, and are studded
with many small yellow translucent spots containing oil.
The fruit is ball-shaped with a diameter of 15-20 mm, the skin insipid
yellow or dull red color and covered with fine hairs. It has a fragrant
perfume. The flesh is pulpy, the flavor sweet or sour-sweet. The seed is
flat, egg shaped and yellow-green.
The fruit ripens at the end of summer. Its nature is slightly warm. Its
virtue is that it can invigorate the spleen and stomach, lessen phlegm and
stop coughing. The flavor of the stone is bitter and pungent, its nature
slightly warm. It helps regulate the flow of vital energy and eases pain.
The fruit contains carbohydrate, vitamin C, organic acid, etc. The skin
contains volatile oil. The seed contains fat, oil, etc.
1. INDIGESTION, WITH CHEST AND STOMACH SWOLLEN. Take 30 grams of fresh
fruit, wash clean, discard stones and eat. Alternatively take 15 grams of
fruit skins, steam in water and serve. Do this twice if necessary.
2. ASTHMA COUGH WITH DRY THROAT AND THIN SPUTUM. Take 15 grams of fruit skin
and 2 slices of ginger. Add water and steam till cooked, then serve. Do this
twice a day.
3. PREVENTIVE MEASURES DURING EPIDEMICS OF COLDS. Take 15-30 grams of fruit
skin and 5-10 eucalyptus leaves. Add water and steam for some time. Drink
this liquid every day for a week.
4. PREVENTION OF MALARIA. Take 30 grams of fruit skin, add water and steam.
In areas where malaria is prevalent, and during the season, take some of
this liquid daily.
5. PREVENTATIVE MEASURES DURING EPIDEMICS OF COLDS AND MALARIA. Take 9-15
grams of fruit skin, add water and steam, then drink the liquid. Do this
three times a day and continue this for 3-7 days.
6. STOMACH PAIN. Take 9-15 grams .of the fruit stones, smash them up and
steam in water for some time. Take the liquid in the course of one day in 3
7. HERNIA, PAIN. Take 15 grams of fruit stone, 9 grams of longan stones, 9 grams of orange pips and 9 grams of dried orange peel. Add 30
grams of rice wine* and steam till cooked. Drink all of this liquid. Do this
3 times a day.
(* Japanese sake can be used. Ed.)
8.RHEUMATISM, PAIN. Take 6-9
grams of fruit stone, crush, add some rice wine*
and serve. (* Japanese sake can be used. Ed.)
The stones are collected, washed
clean and dried in the sun. They are then ready to use in traditional